04 November 2009

Controversy

In sickness and in health is open to interpretation, isn't it? In marriage we abide and tolerate because we love, not because our spouse is an image of flawlessness while retching into the toilet after a few too many beers, or because when they are fevered they are not whiny and prone to outrageous demands; for rich or for poor does not mean we will not complain when the rent is late, or consider ourselves fiscally responsible enough to tell our partners how to spend their tax return. We do it because our good times are really good, not because we haven't any bad times, because without bad times, without doing it not because we wouldn't rather be doing something - or occasionally even someone else - making such vows are empty.

It's about what's hard, not what's easy.

I got into a car accident today. It will be expensive to repair my - my husband's - car. It was an accident, but I was cited at fault. The absence of injury of either party, myself or the other driver, makes it easier to be angry and point fingers, to talk about carelessness and catastrophe. When my tears have stopped and there's room to start worrying about things like tow trucks and fines, I am afraid to draw attention to the guilt that I feel, the desire I have to be comforted. I want to be tough, I want to take responsibility, I want to be loved for not having fucked up in the first place.

I don't expect to be coddled when I've made mistakes, but goddamn is it hard when I'm not.

1 comment:

  1. But what's more important - are YOU okay??? I'm sorry to hear about the car, but it is replaceable and you are not. *hugs* I hope that you haven't sustained any injuries! Pat and I are thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete